2019 Greater Middlesex Jewish Federation Softball League Rules
Eligibility: Affiliation with temple or JCC in Greater Middlesex or Somerset Federation - * women are allowed
Age: 18 by 9/30 of current year – (requires parent to be on the roster and present at the field for 17 yr old)
Game Times: Sunday 8:30 and 10:00.
Forfeits (1st game 8:45 - 2nd game forfeit either 10:15 or 5 minutes after 1st game ends – earliest 10:00)
- Entry Fee: $575 by 4/21/19. ($25 late fee after 4/21/19) - payable to – Andy Sheffrin , 2 angel place , Somerset NJ 08873
PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK LEAGUE
1) Team roster is due before 1st game. 25 player maximum.
2) Changes are allowed until end of the 7th game.
3) Roster changesmust be made to the Division Commissioner.
4) Players cannot transfer teams during the season. A player can only play in games for one team.
5) Players in the league must be Jewish or married (engaged or process of conversion) to a Jewish man or woman.
6) The manager is obligated to prove the identity of his players. A copy of the roster and player ID (drivers’ licenses) must be supplied if the opposing manager questions the validity of any player. Protests can be filed if managers refuse to comply.
7) ASA approved weights are OK
8) Must use League supplied bat of 26 or 28 OZ.. (EASTON Rebel Slowpitch Softball Bat | 2019 | 1 Piece Aluminum | Power Loaded | ALX50 Alloy)
9) Our schedule to have special weeks for position games in week 6 and 12
10) Use ASA rules for bats 2019. ASA approved Bats 2019 (or earlier, providing they are not on banned list). http://www.asasoftball.com/about/certified_equipment.asp - Managers should check the bats before the game. If a player uses an illegal bat (one on the ASA illegal list or a newer bat not certified by the ASA) the player will be ejected from the game and also be suspended for the next game. A 2nd occurrence during the same season will result in a suspension of the player for the rest of the season including the playoffs. See list for current list of illegal bats
11) No metal spikes
12) We will use 2 bases or double base at first base (foul territory base must be used for runner’s base)
Times and Days:
13) Season starts on 4/28/19 Playoffs start on 9/15/19
14) Each team will be assign no less than 1 game per field and no more than 4 when the schedule is published. This can change if updates are made during season for some reason. Scheduling difficulties can override this.
15) Games are scheduled for 830 and 10
16) 1st game curfew - no inning can start after 10:10 AM (10:15 if tied) – if there is no second game no curfew (unless another league has field)
17) Schedule: 12 Games 1 possible makeups this year. First rained out game is the first to be made up -
18) On wet days, teams must bring at least 1 shovel and 1 rake or they can be assessed a forfeit by the umpire –
19) If umpire cancels the game due to weather, it is subject to league rainouts – no exceptions!
20) Under certain weather conditions, commissioners may call Accelerated Play. No fielding warm-ups after the first inning, (pitchers get warm-ups throughout), batters start with a 1-1 count from 6th inning on, 2nd game starts 5 minutes after first game even if before 10 am.
21) ONCE a GAME is cancelled because of RAIN NO CHANGES – Rainouts will be decided by 7:30 AM –check web site.
22) Games cancellations will be made Sundays If it is obviously bad weather, Saturday cancellations can only happen if no games have been rained out to date and 4 of 6 commissioners vote to cancel (Sat by 4 PM) – this excludes Craig
23) If the first game starts late because of rain, all curfews will be moved up by the delay. For example if game starts 12 minutes late the curfew is 10:22 and 10:27 if tied.
24) If fields are switched because of unplayable situations – TRAVEL time will be added to get to the new fields
25) Games will be played if the umpire does not show or is late or leaves early. The catcher for each team will be the umpire.
26) Standard ASA softball rules with the following modifications:
27) Managers must review rules with umpire before each game.
28) Manager is only person who can dispute a call with the umpire
29) For extra innings or after 10:00 for 1st game - Start 1-1 count for every batter – (top of inning). For second game, 1 ½ hours after start (if another team is playing)
Games may start with 1-1 count - IF BOTH MANAGERS AGREE AT THE FIELD, prior to the start of play to move game along – limit warm-ups use 1-1 count if getting late
31) Only 1 Designated fielder (DF) will be allowed who does not hit – (example pitcher can be a DF and not hit) –DF can never hit Have to bat at least 9 – out will be recorded in 1 spot in the order when team went down to 8
32) A tape measure may be used by either manager to measure the bases and/or the pitching rubber.
33) Pitching Rubber – 50 feet
34) Bases - 65 feet
35) 2nd to Home 92 feet
36) Measurements are from the back of all bases
37) No bunting or stealing
38) Unlimited DHs
39) Teams must start with 9 players at a minimum.
A team must finish with at least 8 players – no exceptions. 9 players to start 8 to finish
40) Managers cannot eliminate spots in line-up after the 1st pitch of 6th inning. No penalties if eliminated before the 6th inning.
41) after game starts 1st player out can go back in to original spot in order
42) Once you establish a batting order, a player may be replaced in the field but not in the batting order. A missing player spot in the order will be an out. In case of legitimate injury this rule will be waived (if they still have 9).
43) Players arriving late to field (after 1st pitch) can be added to the bottom of the order or be used as a true sub
44) 15 run mercy rule. Game is over after 5th inning.
45) Courtesy runners must be announced before the game – Limit of 4. The runner is the last batted out.
46) Pinch runners (up to 4 maximum – even if someone gets hurt during the game)
47) Umpires must announce illegal pitches. An illegal pitch that is hit is in play. Ball does not have to be delivered palm up and may be spun
48) Hitting the Mat or Plate is a Strike. Mat should touch home plate
49) Our league has unlimited arc with a minimum of 6 feet.
50) Foul on strike 3 is an out.
51) The pitcher must be in contact with rubber at start of delivery until ball is released
52) You can lead when the ball is hit or crosses the plate
53) The home team has the choice of dugout. Umpire will decide ground rule double implementation or awarding of bases at each field before the game
54) A new ball will be used at the start of the top and bottom of the 1st inning if possible.
55) Once the season starts no changes to the schedule. NO EXCEPTIONS!
56) Each manager must keep score in league supplied score book.
57) Scores must be reported (texting preferred) to the league representative by the winning manger within 1 week. The commissioners can assess forfeits if this is not met – one warning will be given.
58) Line up must be given to the opposing manager.
59) In event of protest have the umpire and managers sign the score books. The commissioner in charge of the division must be informed in writing about the protest with a fee of $25. The fee will only be returned if the protest is upheld.
60) Any defensive player who fakes a tag without the ball is subject to suspension. (ANY BASE)
61) Umpires will be instructed to monitor foul language carefully and can eject if it continues
62) NO taunting allowed
64) No collision with catcher or any base. no running over catcher ever.Runner must slide or avoid contact or will be called out. Fielder cannot block the base without the ball. Umpires will be told when in doubt call the runner out. This cannot be protested
65) Incidental contact when not sliding will still result in the player being out even if there is no injury to the fielder
66) When not sliding hard contact or contact that results in an injury to the fielder, the runner is out and ejected
67) Blatant collisions will result in 1 game suspension, the runner being called out and the runner ejected.
68) If the runner does not slide and there is no contact, the runner is not automatically out.
69) Anyone starting a fight with a team they are not scheduled to play will be expelled from the league.
70) A player asked to leave the field after an ejection must do so when instructed. A forfeit will result if he/she does not leave.
71) Anyone that drives a vehicle on any of the fields will be subject to suspension.
72) Any suspended player will be required to attend a game and not play while under suspension before he is eligible to play again.
73) All participants in a fight will be suspended 1 game for the 1st fight, lifetime season for 2nd.
74) A team that forfeits in advance will be charged $25 ($50 if we have to pay ump), even if the game is rained out – exceptions – funerals, B’ris, (functions need to be confirmed before 4/9/19 – you will still forfeit the game but no charge)
75) A team that forfeits at the field will be charged $50
76) The 2nd time a team forfeit, the penalty is doubled
77) A player must play in a minimum of 6 games in a 13 or less game season or 7 games in a 14 game season to be eligible for the playoffs. However if a player gets injured during the season, the division commissioner can grant a waiver if notified immediately.
78) The first 4 teams in each division will be eligible for the playoffs.
79) Tiebreakers for all playoff positions and final standings: (team with more forfeits or a forfeit to another tied with, that team loses all tie-breakers)
(a) Record against each other
(b) Run differential (runs scored against runs allowed) against each other
(c) More than 2 teams tied - common record among teams tied - then run differential
(d) Record against top team, then 2nd team, then 3rd team (as needed)
(e) Playoff Game *(only for 1st or 4th place determination) for 2nd or 3rd place a coin flip
80) Playoff format for all rounds: First 4 teams make the playoffs
i) *week 1 week 2
ii) #1 vs #4 2 out of 3. 2 winners play for the division title.
iii) #2 vs #3 2 out of 3 2 winners play for the division title
81) Either manager can request up to 30 minutes between games
82) Games will start at 8:30 AM
83) League will supply 2 umps for all final round playoffs for all 3 leagues – Funds permitting
84) Three games can be played on one Sunday.
85) Higher seeded team has choice for home or away in game #1 and #3 and choice of bench at start of series